Wednesday, April 2, 2008

darklands volume I


This is my first official recording. Darklands is a mix inspired by a romanticized vision of angst-ridden American youth boiled down from my own childhood and all of the movies I grew up with in the 80s. Several of the songs come from 80s movie soundtracks. [I like songs that are “soundtracky”] The cover is a screen capture from a movie called Dream a Little Dream. It's as corny as it sounds, it featured the two Cory's, Feldman and Haim. But in my opinion it's one of the most underrated films of the 1980s PG-13 variety. Out of context, the characters in the image seem to inhabit the same Darklands that The Jesus and Mary Chain describe in their song/album of the same name. That’s roughly the concept behind it, but its open for interpretation. I hope you enjoy it in your own context, your own soundtrack.

track listing:
the replacements - can't hardly wait
the sound - iron years
the psychedelic furs - flowers
the jesus & mary chain - rollercoaster
echo & the bunnymen - with a hip
sad lovers & giants - 50/50
romeo void - just too easy
elvis costello & the attractions - pump it up
the cars - maybe baby
eddie & the cruisers - on the dark side
inxs - don't change
modern english - i'll melt with you
the replacements - alex chilton
julian cope - world shut your mouth
hoodoo gurus - what's my scene
tom petty & the heartbreakers - american girl
elvis costello & the attractions - from a whisper to a scream
pretenders - don't get me wrong




No comments: